Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Serious Wednesday

    I love the teenagers in my life. The ones I teach, the ones I coach, and the ones I minister to on a daily and weekly basis. They are fabulous beings, the workmanship of our Creator. They have their quirks, and sometimes I don't necessarily like them, but I love them with all my little heart can muster.

So that means I hurt when they hurt, and I worry when I see them enter into a situation that I feel is not ideal.

Lately, I have had a sweet young lady dealing with some issues regarding her personal relationships. She has not chosen the perfect path (as many of us have not,) and she is angry and bitter, because more or less, it has caught up with her. One of the adults that help work with our youth group spoke with her privately about this matter in such a way that she would be corrected, (not cornered,) and she has come to realize she has much to deal with. It breaks my heart to see this beautiful young girl (17) feel so worthless and broken. You can see it on her face. I personally feel like she has chosen these particular relationships because she doesn't feel like she is good enough to wait around for the right boy. She feels like she should "take what she can get."

I have also become very close with a young man who is dealing with terrible peer pressure. His self-esteem is such that he feels the need to go along with what his "friends" suggest. I sat with him a month or so ago as he cried his eyes out and admitted to things I could only imagine he would ever become involved with. It absolutely ripped my heart out, and I shared my past (not-so-stellar) experiences, and cried with him.

...What a gut-wrenching thing to behold.

My question is: How are these "good" kids who come from stable Christian homes, raised in church with stable guidance and every resource so broken? How are we as adults failing to minister to these kids, meet their needs, and teach them that they are worth so, so, so much more?

I understand that being a "good" person and being "raised in church" does not determine your outcome, but as Christian leaders, it is our job to "train up these children" in the ways of the Lord, and instill in them the beauty of His grace, love, and mercy. I know that they are growing and experiencing harder and harder things each day, and I know that each of us have to make our mistakes and learn from them. I know that we all possess a sinful nature, and that life is not always going to be sunshine and roses. But I do feel like in some ways I have failed them.

No, I can't stand beside them every day, and coddle them, and make their decisions for them; nor can the pastor, their parents, their siblings, grandparents, or the church family. But shouldn't we be guiding them in their decision making process? Isn't that part of discipleship?

I feel so discouraged and like such a failure. I want them to know the love of Christ fully and ultimately; even more fully than me or the other adults.

How do I teach these kids their worth? How do I teach them that they are loved?

*sigh*

No comments: