Monday, September 12, 2011

Friday Night Lights (as told on a Monday morning)

I love football. Truth be told, if I had completed my original major in journalism, I would absolutely love to be writing a regular column for some newspaper with a woman's take on the game. One thing I look forward to just as much as the thrill of a game, is the Monday morning water-cooler chat, which for me, as a teacher, actually takes place at my pencil sharpener. The conversation usually goes something like this:

Student: "Mrs. Caskey! Did you see the game Saturday night?"
Me: "Which one? Tigers and Demons or Panthers and Cardinals?"
Student: "Tigers and Demons! I can't believe LSU finally gave up a score to NSU!"
Me: "Yeah, it was a moment of weakness. But look at it from NSU's point of view! That was a historic field goal!"
Student: "Well, what did you think about the Panthers and Cardinals?"
....and so on.

I love it. Because as much as I love football on Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon, and Monday night, I love bonding with my students even more. Sure, I don't talk about football with all of my students, but sometimes, there is a special student, where there is nowehere else your lives can connect. Sometimes, your mutual love of a game that leaves a rush of excitement even after the game is done is enough to make you legit in that 13 year old's eyes. And sometimes, finding just a little common ground, even if it's totally irrelevant, makes all the difference.

Sometimes great days happen in unexpected ways. :)

No comments: