Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pounding the Pavement

Today I started a workout regimen. We officially un-joined our gym. Counter-intuitive? Not entirely. We never used the gym. It was basically sucking $50 a month out of our bank accounts. I went a few times, but honestly, I was always super intimidated by going to the gym here. I don't know why.. maybe it was just the set up. I never felt that way at LC or at my gym in Pineville,but nevertheless, I somehow always avoided it. But, I figure the gym isn't the end-all be-all of my personal fitness journey.
Last night I tweeted asking for suggestions for my iPod workout playlist.. I got a few, but could use some more. Anyway, I downloaded a few songs on iTunes, and loaded my "touch." Today's first step? Get up, and get moving. I've decided to start a daily Run/Walk. I'm inspired by my friend Brittney who is currently training for her first 5K. I picked up my iPod, laced up my shoes, and headed out the door. The result? 34 min 56 seconds of pure empowerment while I jammed on everything from Britney, to Bieber, to Lil John and the Ying Yang Twins. (On a side note, I'm not sure why, but working out always makes me want to listen to rap.. Get Low, Wobble Wobble, Salt Shaker. I think I have a problem.)
What I learned is that I still like walking, and I think I will eventually like running again. I learned that the hardest part is slipping my feet inside my shoes, and getting out the front door. I live in a gorgeous neighborhood that is very friendly and safe, and there's no reason I can't get out there in it. Walking in my neighborhood jamming to some awesome tunes is not a chore. It was actually very fun and stress relieving. The beautiful weather is an added bonus.
I'm not going to make any goofy vows about how I'm going to do it every day, and my life is going to improve drastically, and I'm going to run a marathon, or any of that. I feel like at this point, that would be unrealistic. However, what I will say is that I'm going to use this post to serve as a reminder that exercise is not torture. There are some active things that I find very enjoyable. I even felt compelled to dance around my living room when I got home and my favorite song was still playing. Exercise actually can be fun when you'r ein the right frame of mind, and I think I am getting there.
I hope to see some major improvements in my overall health over the coming months. I've already seen an improvement in my weight, and I hope the downward trend continues. I'm learning to eat smart again, and most importantly, I'm learning to do it consistently. That, my friend, makes all the difference in my mindset. :)

No comments: