Monday, June 4, 2012

The Monster Under My Bed

I awoke this morning, promptly at... 2 AM. I heard scratching, scurrying, and I... I panicked. I had heard that sound before. I knew where it came from. There was a MOUSE in my bedroom.

I tried to ignore it; "It's probably in the attic," I thought. "There's only been a mouse in my house once, and it was promptly caught. It came in from outside when we moved an above-ground pool. It won't bother me. It's not in here." And I went back to sleep.

At 3 AM, I woke up again. The dreadful sound of crinkling paper filled my ears. "Oh no.. it's in here, and it's nesting!" I thought. Complete terror filled my being. If it was moving in, it must have a family. But the crinkling stopped, and I decided it must be in my imagination.

4:30 AM, and I'm once again bright-eyed. More scurrying. Where was this taking place? I couldn't quite locate the sound in the pitch dark, and I didn't dare sit up. What if it got me?!

5:30 AM, and this time, Keith heard it too. He sat bolt upright at the sound of crinkling, scurrying, nesting.. "Wal-Mart is open in 30 minutes," he said. "I'm going to get a trap." My worst nightmare come to fruition: a mouse was sharing my bedroom.

I didn't go back to sleep then, but decided to wait in bed. I didn't want to put my feet on the floor, lest it attack me. 

A few minutes after 6, as the rattling continued, and light poured through the cracks in the blinds, I decided I would be brave. I sat up in bed. I scooted down to the foot of the bed, and sat perfectly still. Again, with the noise! Someone must stop this vile creature before it set up a home inside mine!

Carefully, slowly, I peered over the footboard.

A gift bag, left over from my birthday a few days ago, sat just at the foot of my bed, billowing with tissue paper. I had forgotten to put it away. Just then, I heard a crinkle, and I realized... the monster was inside the abandoned bag! It could easily leap onto the bed and gouge my eyes out with it's monstrous claws! I called Keith's cell phone -- no answer! I left a message.. GET HERE NOW!! I FOUND IT!!!

I couldn't see the creature, and I knew to dodge its attack, I must turn on the light to keep it within my sight. I leaned as hard as I could across the void between the bed and the wall where the light switch resides. I flipped it, and the crinkling, scratching, nesting went WILD!

I jumped back to my place of saftey, and lifted only my eyes above the headboard to look back into the bag, when I saw it...

It was brown. It scurried quickly over the matching brown tissue paper making the most noise you could possibly imagine....

It was a bug. Just then, Keith came in. "I FOUND IT!" I shrieked.

I showed him. He smushed it.

Vengeance. Is. Mine.

No comments: