Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Youth VBS and an easy, yummy snack!

So, Sunday night we started youth VBS for our kiddos. We kicked off with our first night of the series "visiting" Victoria Falls and Devil's Pool, followed by a super fun pool party in my back yard. I have to say, it was just about perfect. We had an absolute blast.

Last night, we "visited" the Paricutin Volcano in Mexico. Wow.. what a shock it must have been for the guy just casually plowing his cornfield with then ground split open and a volcano began to grow. Insane! I cannot imagine..

Anyway, in tribute to our Mexico lesson, we had fajitas for dinner (picked up from Los Pantalones in PVille...) and I made the snack suggested for dessert...  sopapillas!

Have you guys had sopapillas? (Come on, I know you have!) They are so yummy! Puffy little airpockets rolled in cinnamon sugar, drizzled with honey...  I've made them before, but it has always required a good bit of time.. mixing and kneading the dough, rolling them out, cutting them into pieces, frying, sugaring.. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic, but they just take a lot of time.

Well, guess what! I found a SUPER easy short cut that I'm about to share! I looked at several different recipes before I realized the sopapilla dough and homemade tortilla dough are VERY similar, so here is my twist. Pretty tasty if I do say so myself!



Short-cut Sopapillas

8-10 flour tortillas -- the fresher the better!
(I used handmade tortillas from the Latin section in our local deli)
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Honey and/or Chocolate syrup for drizzling


Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small paper bag. Set aside. In a heavy pan, heat about 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, insert the tip of the end of a wooden spoon. When it gives off a steady stream of small bubbles, it's ready.
Cut the tortillas into wedges (I cut them into fourths). When your oil is ready, place 4-5 wedges into the oil (single layer) and fry, flipping frequently. Your tortilla wedges should reach a light golden color. (Takes about 2-3 minutes). Place on paper towel to drain slightly.
Once your tortillas are fried, but before they are completely cool, put a few at a time in the bag of cinnamon sugar, and shake to coat! That's it! Serve them drizzled with honey or chocolate sauce.
They can be stored in a ziploc bag to give as gifts or to save for later.. if you have any left! Yummy!
Enjoy!

Chel with her yummy sopapillas!

No comments: