Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Organization... I don't have it!

Ok, so I know it's summer, and technically, according to societal norms, I'm supposed to be relaxing by the pool, sleeping in, sippin' fruity drinks, so on, and so forth. However, today I spent my day going through a mountain of papers that were sititng on the island in the kitchen.

For literally hours, I separated, shredded, categorized, and filed papers in a binder. I found 2 (TWO!) checks that needed to cashed that were just piled on there (totalling no more than $15 combined, mind you), one of which had not even been opened! (It was addressed to the husband, fyi.)

How on earth do I let all of that junk pile up? It seems like I'm so busy that when I get home, I check my mail, pay whatever bill needs to be paid, and leave the rest of it for later when I have "more time." Then I jump into washing clothes, fixing supper, or whatever else seems to be more important. There has GOT to be a better way. I mean, I can't let all of that stuff pile up until May every year!

So far today, here is what I did:
I took a gigantic binder, sectioned it off with dividers, and labeled them "bills and statements, insurance, healthcare, services and memberships, bank" and I tried to "file" everything in order oldest to newest so I can stick new arrivals on top. I may not do it every time something new comes in, but I'm going to at least try to get it all filed a couple times a month.

My question is this: How do you keep it all together? Do you have a specific routine, location, or system? I need help!!!

No comments: