Friday, June 29, 2012

Mmmm.... Dole Whips! :)

Ok, remember how I've promised you (twice now) that I would post a yummy recipe for a dessert/snack? Well, guys, today's the day. Today's the day!

If you have ever been to Disney World, I'm sure you've passed by the Aloha Isle snack stand which is located in Adventureland right across from the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. Have you ever stopped there? Surely you have.. right? Well, if you have, you know the dreamy sweet goodness that is a Dole Pineapple Whip float. Oh. Em. Gee. It's absolutely delicious!

I found a recipe that you can make at home, and with a few of my own alterations,  let me just say, it is pretty darn tasty. It is best served immediately after the initial freeze time, but I guess you could thaw it in the fridge a little if you needed to make it ahead or had left overs. I haven't had leftovers. ;) Anyway, here ya go! (Make sure you read this all the way through before attempting.)

Knock-off Dole Pineapple Whip Floats

2 20z cans of Dole crushed pineapple
2 T lemon juice
2 T lime juice
Any eeeeensy weensy bit of lemon and lime zest, added to the pineapple
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain your pineapple, and reserve the juice in the fridge. Place pineapple, lemon and lime juice, zest, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice in a blender. Cover and blend until it's nice and smooth.

Pour this mixture into 2 one-quart zip top freezer bags. Place bags FLAT in the freezer and freeze until slushy. It usually takes about 1.5 hours.

Once the pineapple mixture is slushy, gently fold it into the whipped cream in a large bowl until it is just lightly blended. (You don't want to kill the fluff of the whipped cream.)  Cover, and return the entire mixture back to the freezer until it's completely frozen. It should take about 1 hr. At this point it is ready to serve.

You may serve the Dole Whip "ice cream" exactly as it is, or you can serve it as a float. (My favorite!) To serve it as a float:
Fill a glass about 1/3 of the way with the chilled, reserved pineapple juice. Add a hefty scoop of your Dole whip, and then top with a little more juice if needed. YUMMO!

Personally, I like to use my straw to stir the extra juice into the "ice cream" and drink it as a thick, cold, creamy drink. Mmmm...

I think I may go "whip" some of these up now! :) Enjoy! ....and let me know if you try it!


No comments: